We had another exciting week! Below is an update on what the Yellow Room children learned this week in school.
- This week we began our study unit on Dental Health and the job of a dentist.
- We also celebrated Lunar New Year!
- Letters of the week are 'R' and 'K'. We followed up with a story, a jingle, a cheer for both letters and filling in journal pages.
- For math, the children all "estimated" how many candies would fit in a mouth shaped space. After they wrote their "estimate" down, they glued colorful candies and counted the "actual" amount.
- In writing, we wrote a response to the prompt, "I keep my teeth healthy by...". We drew an adorable illustration to accompany our writings.
- For art, we made our likeness and glued down ten teeth on the top of our mouth and ten on the bottom for a total of 20 teeth.
- In science, we asked the question, "Can my teeth change color from what I drink?" After discussing the similarities between teeth and eggs, the kids were asked if cleaning an eggshell would be similar to cleaning their teeth. We first boiled some eggs and then immersed one in Coke, in fruit punch, water, and milk. Magically, the eggs in soda and fruit punch turned color while the others in water and milk remained white. This inspired the kids to wonder if brushing the eggshell would clean it. So, that is exactly what we did. We placed some Aquafresh on a toothbrush and brushed away the stains. This experiment emphasized the importance of brushing away all food residues and trying to eat “teeth friendly” foods.
- For our Lunar New Year celebration the children enjoyed making paper lanterns and origami pigs.
- As Valentine's Day nears, the children created lovely cards to mail out. Using crayons, they drew hearts on a blank card and then water-colored over them and saw the hearts pop right through.
- In writing, we wrote down Valentine messages in our one of a kind homemade Valentine's Day cards.
Books we read:
- Going To The Dentist, by Anne Civerdi
- You Think It's Easy Being The Tooth Fairy, by Sheri Belle-Rehwoldt
- How Many Teeth, by Paul Showers
- Let's Meet a Dentist, Bridget Heos
- Why Do I Brush My Teeth?, by Angela Royston
- Chinese New Year, by David F. Marx
- Lanterns and Firecrackers, by Jonny Zucker
Songs we sang:
- Jolly "R" and "K" Jingle.
- If you brushed your teeth today, clap your hands.
- Jeremiah was a Bullfrog.
Places we visited:
- We participated in our monthly school wide assembly.
- In library, Lindsay read Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, by Judi Barrett
Enjoy the photos and have a great holiday weekend.
The Yellow Room Teachers