Happy New Year! It has been a fantastic week in the Yellow Room! Here is an update on what the Yellow Room children learned this week in school. But first:
- Jan. 21&22: School Closed (MLK Jr and Professional Development.)
- Jan. 25: Winter Benefit (Hope to see you there!)
- Feb. 14: Valentine's Day Celebration (Children and teachers only.)
- Feb.18,19,&20: School Closed (Presidents Day and Professional development.)
- We discussed the new season, Winter and all the changes it has brought.
- We also started an in depth study on snowflakes.
- In our art center, the Yellow Room kids received three different sized paper circles and built their own snowman. They then drew a scene around it and wrote a thoughtful response to the prompt to the classic tale of Peter in Ezra Jack Keats, The Snowy Day.
- In science, we began our in-depth exploration of snowflakes. We discussed and learned that snowflakes are ice crystals that have six branches or sides. They then, received a square piece of paper and a cray-pas. Each child had a blast designing their own snowflake, making sure each snowflake was unique and had six branches. Once they finished drawing they covered their paper square with watercolor and watched their one-of-kind design pop through.
- For the hallway bulletin board, we read the book "Snowman at Night." Afterwards each child drew a profile of a snowman on black paper and tore up pieces of white construction paper to fill it in. They then added detail and colored in the night sky. Too accompany these one of a kind masterpieces, the children wrote a response to the prompt, "My snowman at night...".
- For math, the children gently glued down packing peanuts on their very own snowflakes and then counted them all up.
- This week was our first Montclare Assembly of the school year! All classes gathered as a community in Gym 2 to sing and rock out with Noel.
- The letter of the week was ‘S’. We followed up with a journal entry, Letterland story and a Jolly Jingle.
Book we read:
- The Snowy Day, by Ezra Jack Keats
- The Little Snowflake, by Steve Metzger
- Snowmen at Night, by Caralyn Buehner
- Snowmen at Work, by Caralyn Buehner
- Weather: Snow, by Ann Herriges
- The Most Perfect Snowman, by Chris Britt
Songs we sang:
- Jolly ‘S’ jingle
Places we visited:
- In PE, children played the chase game and worked on skipping.
- In Yoga, we stretched and worked on our warrior poses.
- In Library, Lindsay read Lost in the Library: A Story of Patience & Fortitude, by Josh Funk.
Enjoy the photos and have a spectacular long weekend!
The Yellow Room Teachers