It has been a fun week in the Yellow Room! Here is an update on what the Yellow Room children learned this week in school. But first:
- Thursday, December 20th- Holiday Breakfast (8:45-9:15) following the Sing a long with Noel in the gym.
- The Yellow Room ended their theme about The Nutcracker Ballet with a culminating trip to the American Ballet Theater. The children learned about the special clothes the dancers wear and performed their ballet routine with Rita. We were also treated to a special performance by ballet dancers.
- The Yellow Room began a new theme: Gingerbread. We are reading various versions of The Gingerbread Man story.
- For Writing, children completed a gingerbread man poem, imagining different things their gingerbread person would run away from.
- We began a new math unit that focuses on measurement. Using everyday classroom materials and experimenting with real objects help us understand measurement concepts. We began by comparing blocks and noticing the different length and height. We learned that we can use measurement tools, such as a ruler and measuring tape to learn how many inches long and tall they were.
- We followed up our discussion by asking the students to measure each other. In pairs, they worked to find out how many gingerbread cookies tall they were.
- The letter of the week was ‘G’. We followed up with a journal entry, Letterland story and a Jolly Jingle.
- For cooking, the children whipped up some gingerbread dough that we will use to make our trains.
- For science, children investigated the spices we used to make our gingerbread dough in cooking. They examined the 4 spices: ginger, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg, in both their solid form and powder form. Using the powdered spices, the Yellow Room children created a fragrant book of spices.
Books we read:
- The Gingerbread Man, by Saviour Pirotta
- The Gingerbread Man, pictures by Karen Schmidt
- The Gingerbread Girl, by Lisa Campbell Ernst
- The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers, by Lisa Campbell Ernst
- The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School, by Laura Murray
- The Gingerbread Man Loose on the Fire Truck, by Laura Murray
- The Gingerbread Boy, by Richard Egielski
Songs we sang:
- Jolly ‘G’ jingle
Highlight of the Week:
- Our trip to ABT!!! Thank you to all the grown ups that accompanied us on our trip. We hope you thought it was as memorable and enjoyable as we did. We haven't been able to stop dancing all week.
Enjoy the photos and have a beautiful weekend!
The Yellow Room Teachers