- Jan. 21&22: School Closed (MLK Jr and Professional Development.)
- Jan. 25: Winter Benefit (Hope to see you there!)
- Show and Tell Starts, January 25th. Let me know if you need the calendar.
- Feb. 14: Valentine's Day Celebration (Children and teachers only.)
- Feb.18,19,&20: School Closed (Presidents Day and Professional development.)
- March 18th - March 29th, Spring Break.
- April 25 - 26, PT Conferences.
We had another exciting week! Below is an update on what the Yellow Room children learned this week in school.
Themes this week:
- This week we learned and read all about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, our hero.
- In our writing center, the Yellow Room kids wrote responses to Dr. King's infamous words, "I have a dream..."
- Letters of the week were 'J' and 'D'. We followed up with journal entries, Letterland stories and Jolly Jingles.
- The kids also made another mini book all about Dr. King. We hope you enjoy reading these books at home with your child.
- On Thursday, we invited the Rainbow Room to have snack and choice time with us. It was so nice to see the Yellow Room kids serve snack and share some of their favorite play toys with them.
- In math, we continued our study on measurement. Exploring the classroom, the children decided to measure different blocks from our block center. They used different manipulatives such as: unifix cubes, links and wooden cubes. We followed up by using inchworm rulers to measure different lines.
- As a follow up activity, we discussed measuring weight. Using balance scales the children took turns weighing a variety of school tools from the classroom. They first predicted which tool would weigh more then actually placed them on the scale and watched the scale pans move up and down.
Books we read:
- My First Biography Martin Luther King, Jr., by Marion Dane Bauer
- The Story of Martin Luther King Jr., by Johnny Ray Moore
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Margaret McNamara
- It's Okay to Be Different, by Todd Parr
- The Wall In The Middle Of The Book, by Jon Agee
- Penguins Love Colors, Sarah Aspinall
Songs we sang:
- Jolly "D" and "J" Jingles.
- We Shall Overcome
- This Little Light of Mine
Places we visited:
- In Yoga, we stretched and worked on snake pose.
- In music, we sang Dr. King's favorite songs with Noel.
- In library, Lindsay read us Do Re Mi: If You Can Read Music, Thank Guido D'Arezzo, by Susan Roth
Enjoy the photos and have a great weekend.
Yellow Room Teachers