It has been another busy week in the Yellow Room! Below is an update on what the Yellow Room children learned this week in school. But first:
- Nov. 12 & 13: Parent Teacher Conferences
- Nov. 14: Picture Day in School (Children and teachers only)
- Nov. 20: Native American Festival (Each Child MUST have one adult in attendance)
- Dec. 11: Visit to ABT studios (Each Child MUST have one adult in attendance)
Themes this week:
- We concluded our learning about Halloween Characters.
- Began an author study on Laura Numeroff .
- In writing, we thought of delightful responses to a Halloween poems about Candy Corn.
- The Yellow Room kicked off our first author study with Laura Numeroff and the “If You Give a…” book series. We discussed that authors "write the words" and that illustrators "draw the pictures" in books and stories. We also reviewed that characters are people or animals in the story.
- For Art, the children assembled their own character from one of the Laura Numeroff books we read using glue and paper as well as drawing adorable details to finish them off.
- For writing, children responded to the open-ended prompt: “If you give a ________ a cookie/donut/muffin/etc., he will want to…”.
- The letters of the week were ‘H' and 'T’. We followed up with journal entries for each letter, Letterland stories and Jolly Jingles.
Highlight of the Week:
- Halloween, of course!!! We had a spook-tacular day trick or treating around the school, dancing to Halloween party music, making masks, eating pizza and cupcakes and having fun with our friends! Thank you all for making it such a memorable day for us.
Book we read:
- One Halloween Night, by Mark Teague
- Monster Trouble, by Lane Fredrickson
- The Sweetest Witch Around, by ALison McGhee
- If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Numeroff
- f You Give a Cat a Cupcake, by Laura Numeroff
- If You Give a Moose a Muffin, by Laura Numeroff
- If You Give a Pig a Pancake, by L:aura Numeroff
- If You Give a Dog a Donut, by Laura Numeroff
Places we visited:
- In PE we played the chase game and practiced our bounce pass.
- In Art, Julia and Janae continued the artist study on Piet Mondrian. The children made collages using paper in primary colors and black tape.
- On Friday, we joined the Montclare School Community in assembly.
Enjoy the photos and have a great weekend.
The Yellow Room Teachers