It has been another busy week in the Yellow Room! Below is an update on what the Yellow Room children learned this week in school. But first:
- Oct. 23: Trip to the Botanical Gardens
- Oct 31: Halloween Party (Children and teachers only.)
- Nov. 12 & 13: Parent Teacher Conferences
- Nov. 14 & 15: Picture Day in School (Children and teachers only)
Themes this week:
- Harvest Time. We learned that harvest time is when fruits and vegetables are ready to picked and gathered by farmers.
- The role of a farmer and his contributions to our community.
- We investigated one specific crop, Pumpkins!
- In art, we made different Harvest items that we have been learning about. The Yellow Room children decorated scarecrows faces using felt, fabric patches, burlap, yarn, buttons and raffia. Using model magic, the kids shaped the clay to look like corn. Then, they painted it yellow and added real corn kernels for a realistic look.
- We practiced our counting skills by arranging numbered pumpkins (1-15) on a paper vine.
- In writing, the kids thought of a response to the prompt, "I can scare........"
- In science we learned about the Life Cycle of a pumpkin. We sequenced the stages of a pumpkin: seed, sprout, vine, flower, green pumpkin, and then finally the orange ripe pumpkin. We then recreated the stages with our newly acquired vocabulary words by sequencing colorful pictures of each stage.
- As a follow up to science, we reviewed the parts of a pumpkin. Each child received their own pumpkin diagram to correctly label with these new science words; stem, skin, ribs, seeds, and pulp.
- The letter of the week was “E”. We followed up with a story, a jingle, and a poem. The yellow room children generated a list of words starting with the letter ‘E’. We also completed the another page in our letter journal for the letter "E". Recognizing beginning letter sounds is an important pre-reading skill.
Highlight of the Week:
- Walking trip to the farmer's market! We looked around and saw all of the harvested crops of the season. Luckily, we found our next crop to investigate and learn about, ZUCCHINI!
Book we read:
- The Little Scarecrow Boy, by Margaret Wise Brown
- From Seed to Pumpkin, by Jan Kottke
- Pumpkin Circle, by George Levenson
- A Day at the Pumpkin Patch, by Megan Faulkner & Adam Krawesky
- Pumpkin Eye, Denise Fleming
Places we visited:
- In PE we worked on our skipping, marching and jumping jacks.
- In Art, Julia and Janae began an artist study on Piet Mondrian. The children drew different straight lines with rulers and painted cardboard squares.
- In Library, Lindsay read Grandfather's Journey, by Allen Say
Enjoy the photos and have a great weekend.
The Yellow Room Teachers