It has been a magical week in the Yellow Room! Here is an update on what the Yellow Room children learned this week in school. But first:
- Dec 11: Field Trip to ABT Studios (Children MUST have one adult chaperone.)
- Dec 20: Holiday Breakfast (Children MUST have an adult attending.)
- The Nutcracker Ballet
- The Yellow Room began learning about The Nutcracker Ballet. We read many versions of The Nutcracker story, in which different authors used different words and pictures to tell the same story.
- The Yellow Room learned a new story element this week, Setting. The Nutcracker was the perfect story to discuss setting, where the story takes place. After reviewing all the characters in the Nutcracker, we learned that the story begins in Clara's house and then moves to the Land of Sweets.
- For writing, the Yellow Room children wrote about their favorite Nutcracker scene. The children were able to recall so many different scenes, characters, and settings.
- For Art, the children assembled their own nutcracker and stage to accompany their writing.
- In science, we had fun observing corn kernels dance in jars. We began by placing some corn kernels in three different jars. We then added water in one, vinegar in a second, and seltzer in the third. We watched closely to see if the liquids would react with the corn, but the corn was too heavy and would not move around. It wasn't until we added baking soda to the vinegar and seltzer that we saw a chemical reaction push the corn to the top of the jar and mimic dancing.
- The letter of the week was ‘C’. We followed up with a journal entry, Letterland story and a Jolly Jingle.
Highlight of the Week:
- Learning that Peter Tchaikovsky loved the story of the nutcracker so much he wrote music to retell the story. We had so much fun listening to the music and letting it guide and move our bodies.
Books we read:
- Nutcracker, by Mary Engelbreit
- The Nutcracker, by Susan Jeffers
- The Nutcracker Ballet, by Vladimir Vagin
- The Story of the Nutcracker Ballet, by Deborah Hautzig
Songs we sang:
- Jolly ‘C’ jingle
Places we visited:
- In Music, we began singing holiday songs, including “Hanukkah Oh Hanukkah”, “Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel”, “Feliz Navidad”, and “Jingle Bells”.
- In Library, Lindsay read “Over and Under the Snow”, by Kate Messner and children checked out their books to take home.
- In PE, children worked on their bounce pass and chest pass.
Enjoy the photos and have a beautiful weekend!
The Yellow Room Teachers