It has been another busy week in the Yellow Room! Below is an update on what the Yellow Room children learned this week in school. But first:
- Oct 31:Halloween Party and Pizza Lunch(Children and teachers only.)
- Nov. 12 & 13:Parent Teacher Conferences
- Nov. 14:Picture Day in School (Children and teachers only)
Themes this week:
- Halloween and it's characters that make it spooky, mwaaa haa haa!
- We concluded our harvest study with a fun trip to the Botanical Gardens
- For Math, we read “How Many Seeds In A Pumpkin?”, by Margaret McNamara and worked on our estimation skills by estimating/guessing how many seeds were in one of our classroom pumpkins. In another estimation activity, children estimated how many pumpkins tall they were.
- In writing, the kids wrote responses and drew illustrations to the response, "In the Haunted House.."
- Throughout the week, the kids were busy bees making Halloween decorations such as black cats and jack-o-lanterns to make the room "spooktacular" for our big Halloween celebration.
- In science, we learned a new term: reaction. We enjoyed conducting a simple science experiment using baking soda, vinegar, and soap. First we spooned some baking soda into our jack-o-lantern and added dish soap. We observed no changes in our ingredients until we added the.......baking soda. Then, the foam and bubbles oozed out from the jack-o-lantern's face and top.
- In math, we voted on a graph to carve a "scary" or "happy" face for our jack-o-lantern. You'll have to wait and find out which got the MOST votes.
- In writing, the kids thought of a word to finish a delightful rhyme about scarecrows.
- In cooking, we baked delicious zucchini muffins using the fresh zucchini we bought on our walking trip to the farmer's market.
Highlight of the Week:
- Our trip to the Botanical Gardens!!!!! The weather was perfect and we had so much fun planting seeds, digging for worms, tasting spinach and carrots that are grown straight in the garden. Thanks again chaperones for all your help!
Book we read:
- At The Old Haunted House, by Helen Katterman
- Inside a House That is Haunted, by Alyssa Capucilli
- The Sweetest Witch Around, by ALison McGhee
- How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?, Maragret McNamara
- What;s in the Witch's Kitchen?, by Nick Sharrat
- The Spookiest Halloween Ever!, Teddy Slater
Places we visited:
- In PE we played the chase game.
- In yoga we practiced our easy, medium, and hard tree pose.
- In Art, Julia and Janae continued the artist study on Piet Mondrian. The children drew different straight lines with rulers and painted cardboard squares.
Enjoy the photos and have a great weekend.
The Yellow Room Teachers