- Tuesday, March 5th: 100th day of School (KIDS only)
- Thursday, March 14th: Visit from a NYPL Librarian here in school (KIDS only)
- Thursday, April 11th:Writopia Film Screening @ 1:30 (Kids MUST have an adult attend.)
- Thurs. & Fri., April 25th-26th:Parent Teacher Conferences (Parents only, haha!)
- Thursday, May 16th: Brooklyn Bridge (Kids MUST have an adult chaperone.)
- Friday, May 31st: Field Day (Kids MUST have an adult chaperone.)
- Friday, June 7th: Last Day of School Breakfast 8:30-9am (Kids MUST have an adult attend.)
- Monday, June 10th: Graduation
We had another exciting week! Below is an update on what the Yellow Room children learned in school.
Themes this week:
- Began a study on the Post Office and the job of mail carriers.
- Talked all about the ones we love and cherish as we got ready for our class Valentine's Day celebration.
- In honor of Presidents' Day, we read and discussed the contributions of two great U.S. Presidents: George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.
- In writing, we read Hug Machine by Scot Campbell. As a follow, the Yellow Room students each wrote and illustrated a page in our very own adapted version of this whimsical story of a little boy that loves to hug.
- As a second writing activity, we wrote a response to the prompt Love is and illustrated our words.
- For art, we made our likeness wearing a tall black stovepipe hat and beard just as the great, President Lincoln.
- Tying together our knowledge of the Post Office and Presidents' day, the kids made patterns using different stamps of the American Flag and Presidents Washington, Lincoln, Obama and Trump.
- Letters of the week are 'A' and 'M'. We followed up with a story, a jingle, a cheer for both letters and filling out our journal pages.
- In writing, we first discussed all the information needed on the front of a postal letter. We reviewed: mailing address, return address, and stamp. We then wrote a special Valentine message in our Valentine's Day cards, put them in their envelopes, addressed them, and finished up with a stamp. On Monday we took a short walk to the mailbox and hand delivered our cards!
- This week, the children were busy playing in the Classroom Post Office. You will all notice many notes and postcards going home that we addressed and stamped to friends and teachers.
- In math, we graphed different colored candy hearts. We tracked and followed as our friends each took a turn to pick a candy heart from a cup.
- In science we predicted if candy hearts would sink or float in different liquids. One jar had soda, a second water, and a third seltzer. After making our predictions, we completed the experiment and saw the results in front of our eyes.
Highlight of the Week:
- Our Valentine Celebration!!! The kids had so much delivering their Valentine's to each other in the morning.
Books we read:
- The Story of Abraham Lincoln, by Patricia A. Pingry
- The Story of George Washington, by Patricia A. Pingry
- Hug Machine, Scott Campbell
- President's Day, by Anne Rockwell
- Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine, by Herman Parish
Songs we sang:
- Put A Little Love In Your Heart
- H-E-A-R-T, The heart shape says I Love You
- My Favorite Things
Places we visited:
- In library, Lindsay read Sylvester And The Magic Pebble, by William Steig
- In PE, we played the chase game.
- On Monday we met Cara, a dental hygienist. She talked to us all about dental hygiene and helped us practice brushing teeth on her toy friend Danny the Dog.
Enjoy the photos and have a great holiday weekend.
The Yellow Room Teachers