We had a lot to do in the Red Room this week! Here are some of our activities:
- Mail and the Post Office
Some Books We Read:
- A Day with a Mail Carrier, by Jan Kottke
- It Came In The Mail ,by Ben Clanton
- Hello, My Name Is Octicorn , by Kevin Diller and Justin Lowe
- Dragon Dance, by Joan Holub
- In the math center we made patterns using different pictures of stamps. We also sorted an envelope of stamps and made a bar graph to compare the different amounts.
- In the writing center we learned about the different parts of a letter. We then worked on writing short letters to a loved one. We addressed and stamped the envelopes and took a mini trip to the mailbox on the corner. The kids can’t wait for their letters to be delivered in the mail!
- The children built a huge post office in the Block center and enjoyed taking turns delivering mail to each other.
- We read the book Hello, My Name Is Octicorn which is about a half unicorn, half octopus named Octi. Octi felt like he didn’t have any friends because no one else looked like him though he liked a lot of the same things as others. We discussed that even though people may look different from each other, they can still have a lot in common and be friends. So, the kids decorated their own Octicorns and wrote letters to Octi telling him all the things they have in common. Octi now has eighteen new friends in the Red Room!
Letter of the Week:
Who was in the Barn?
Dates to Remember:
2/18-2/20 School Closed
Have a great weekend!
Ms. Brenna, Ms. Nicole, and Mr. Alex