The cold weather made it an ideal week to stay cozy inside and read books. Here are some of the things we worked on.
- Author Study: Kevin Henkes
The Kevin Henkes Books We Read:
- Chester’s Way
- Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse
- Julius The Baby of the World
- Lilly’s Big Day
- Penny and Her Marble
- Wemberly Worried
- Shelia Rae, The Brave
- In the math center, we compared Chrysanthemum’s name with our own. Each child observed the letters that each name begins and ends with. The children then linked together a row of thirteen unifix cubes for Chrysanthemum's name and then made a separate row for the amount of letters in their own name. They were then able to compare how much longer or shorter their names were and then filled in a chart with the results.
- At the art center, the children painted and designed their own purple purses and then filled them with special tokens to represent the books we read.
- After working as a whole group on a chart describing the recurring character of “Lilly”, each child drew a self portrait and wrote three descriptive sentences about his or herself in the writing center.
- We whipped up some of Kevin Henkes' favorite character recipes when we made “Mr. Slinger’s Cheesy Rice Crisps” and “Wemberly's Worry-Free Punch” in the cooking center.
Who Was In The Barn?
Letter of the Week:
Dates to Remember:
- 2/14: Valentine Pajama Party Brunch for Lunch! (in class, students only)
- 2/18-2/20: School Closed
Ms. Brenna, Ms. Nicole, and Mr. Alex