We had another exciting week! Below is an update on what the Blue Room children learned this week at Montclare.
Books we read:
- My New York, by Kathy Jakobsen
- My Taxi Ride, by Paul Dubois Jacobs
- The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss
Places we went:
- Our walking trip over the Brooklyn Bridge
- We began our study of New York City.
- We learned about the 5 boroughs of New York City with the 5 boroughs song.
- In writing each child had the opportunity to create a travel brochure or book about their favorite landmarks in New York City. This allowed us to practice our writing and cutting .
- In art we began collaging a picture of our favorite landmark.
- In Math we practiced using tens frames to help us count, make tens, and see number patterns. We played with them with partners.
- In Science we discussed oxidation and the changing color of the Statue of Liberty.
- We also had a visit from a Blue Room Alum who read us The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss. After reading we completed a stem challenge by trying to make our very own Truffula Trees that could stand. We used pipe cleaners, wiki stix, tape, play dough, magic noodles and pom poms. Even though our study of Earth Day was over this reminded us that we should think of caring for the earth. (see pictures)
Theme this week: New York City
Dates to remember:
- Tuesday, May 14th-Brooklyn Bridge (one adult must be present)9am-1pm
- Friday May 31st- Field Day (one adult must be present) 9-12 (early release day)
- Friday, June 7th- Movie Morning (during arrival we will show our end of the year film)
- Monday, June 10th- Graduation
Enjoy your weekend!
The Blue Room Teachers