This week we began our study of the Post Office and Valentine’s Day.
**If you have not done so already please send in a change of clothing for your child’s cubby.
Books we have Read:
- A Day With A Mail Carrier, by Jan Kottke
- The Post Office Book, byGail Gibbons
- The Love Monster, By Rachel Bright
- Performed at the school wide assembly.
- We began our discussion about the Post Office. We created our very own mailboxes and made our own Blue Room Post Office. The children were busy writing letters and postcards for friends to deliver. We even learned that when the flag is up on a mailbox that means their is mail to be picked up. This trick allowed us to keep track of the mail in our own mailboxes.
- In writing, we completed our very own valentines and even helped address the envelope. Hopefully they will arrive by Valentine’s Day. Be sure to open them with care!
- We discussed the importance of stamps and how they are used both to pay for mail and that they are sometimes collected. The children viewed several different stamp collections and then created a Blue Room Stamp Collection.
- We also began our study of Valentines by reading, The Love Monster . Each child created our own adorable love monster using collage materials. We agreed that they were all adorable and easy to love! Be on the look out for their adorable monsters.
- In Math we graphed and sorted a mail carrier’s mail. There were packages, letters and even post cards.
- In Science we got ready for a visit from the dentist office (next week a hygienist will come to talk about dental health) by exploring tooth friendly foods and dental care.
- This week was began Lunar New Year. We learned about the holiday and the zodiac calendar. In honor of the year of the Pig we made origami paper pig puppets and danced along to traditional holiday music,
Theme this week:
- Post Office and Valentine’s Day
Dates to remember:
- February 12th- Valentine’s are due to the Blue Room
- February 14th- Valentine’s Day Party (Kids only)
- February 18th and 19- President’s Day no school
- February 20th- Professional Development
- March, 5th- The 100th Day of School
- March 18th- Spring Break (until 4/1)
Have a great weekend!
The Blue Room Teachers