We had another exciting week! Below is an update on what the Blue Room children learned this week at Montclare.
Books we read:
- Perfect Pumpkins, by Jeff Bauer
- Pumpkin Circle, by George Levinson
- The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin, by Joe Troiano
Places we went:
- Visited Noel in the Music Room
- Played on the Roof
- We talked about harvest time on the farm and the many fruits and vegetables that or ripe and ready to be picked at this special time.
- Discussed the role of a scarecrow at a farm and then practiced our counting and geometry skills by creating our own "Shapely Scarecrows”.
- We began a pumpkin investigation by learning about many varieties from this harvest fruit. We even learned that pumpkins come in many different shapes, colors and sizes.
- In Science we dissected a pumpkin and explored its inside. We even learned the names of the different parts of a pumpkin. compared and contrasted different pumpkins.
- We began working on our classroom farmer’s market. We worked together to paint the structure and make signs.
- This week we had a special visit from Scientist and Blue Room parent Ben tenOever. He conducted a fascinating experiment on DNA isolation. Together we created a special solution, squished and filtered fruit, and then saw the DNA on a special blue light wearing special glasses and a lab coat. It was an unforgettable experience and we are so grateful for Benjamin’s time.
Theme this week:
- Harvest and pumpkins
Important Dates to remember:
- Wednesday, October 24th- Field Trip to Botanical Gardens 9am-1pm (if you were chosen as a chaperone please arrive by 8:45)
- Wednesday, October 31st- Blue Room Halloween Celebration (parents are welcome to stay from drop off at 8:30am until 8:50am to take photos!)
- November 12-13th – Parent Teacher Conferences (no classes for students)
- Wed November 14th & Thursday, November 15th - Photo Day (schedule to follow)
- Tuesday, November 20th -Native American Festival (1:30pm in Gym 2-one adult per child)
- Tuesday, December 11th- ABT trip at USQ (one adult must be present)
- Thursday December 20st- Holiday Sing Along and class breakfast (one adult must be present- details to follow)
The Blue Room Teachers